Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Colossians 3:17New International Version (NIV)
17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.




This is a picture from part of my yard. Not much to it, but I am totally in love with my view.  Our little mini farm has meant more work around the house than at our old house. There are more animals to care for and a lot more yard work to do. I delight when the grass is tall enough to mow and when I hear my daughter Tagen singing while she is cleaning out the nesting boxes for the chickens I am reminded how blessed we are to be here. But there are still chores that I do not want to do and can find myself grumbling about doing the work. Check out Colossians 3:17, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Its sooooooooo easy to give thanks in the deeds that you enjoy doing. I really enjoy riding my tractor...its my "quiet time." And anyone that knows my daughter Tagen would never be surprised that she sings while she cleans out the nesting boxes. How often do we give thanks for the mundane chores, the ones you would rather poke your eyes out with your finger instead of completing? Ummm....I'm pretty sure we can all answer rarely or never. I was out in my back yard (see pic for visual :) ) earlier with Hattie while Grei was napping...picking up doggy and kitty poop. Did ya hear that? This mama gets to spend her Wednesday afternoon in one of her favorite places, with one of her favorite people, on a gorgeous 75-ish degree day! How AWESOME! But as I was cleaning up the yard with my little chatty helper, I found myself rushing to get the job done. I was focusing on the fact that I HATE doing that chore and thinking about other chores that I do not enjoy (laundry...BLAH) that still needed to get done cause Wednesday nights are CRAZY busy. And as crazy as it sounds this little voice says...why are you rushing. And of course I begin to rattle off why. And then it hits me....the little voice says, stop, look around. You are not called to check off all your busyness. Instead you are called to do things in the name of Jesus, all the while giving thanks. So I did slow down. Miss Hattie and I enjoyed being outside and talked about the different plants around our property and why it is important to take good care of the things that we have been given. She twirled and pirouetted while I continued clean-up duty. We sang a song and the kitties danced at our feet while the sun hid behind the clouds. What a fun time! I don't have very many days like this left to spend with Hattie. Next year she will be off to kindergarten. I'm so glad that we took our time and I stopped griping in my mind about my chore and enjoyed the blessings. My focus wasn't on my chore any more, it was on my abounding blessings all around me. And I was happy to be doing what I was suppose to be doing....teaching Hattie that we are to take good care of the things we are given, time with her is always precious, pirouetting in the backyard is always appreciated and most of all that even cleaning up after the animals can be done with a grateful and rejoicing heart because I am the daughter of the one true king!


Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment